DevOps Is A Highly Sought After Skill
Within recent years the adoption of DevOps has gone mainstream. More companies are investing in tools, there have been some notable vendor acquisitions in 2019 and even more investment in DevOps technologies. Yet, the increase in popularity continues to surface a shortage of DevOps skills and talent.
A recent article ‘DevOps now most sought-after skill, and with good reason’ from ZDNet says:
“DevOps skills are more in demand than any other IT-related skill, even surpassing cloud and data science skills. Close to two-thirds of respondents, 64%, indicated that DevOps is the most sought-after skill, above cloud certifications, machine learning, and even industry knowledge. “
So, what are the skills and capabilities of a ‘good DevOps’ candidate? We pulled together a list of the skills that are critical to plan, implement and maintain a healthy DevOps approach.
- Be a proficient software developer – a lot of DevOps tooling are starting to rely on an “as-code” approach
- Have a good understanding of one CI/CD platform (e.g. Jenkins, Concourse)
- Be familiar with a configuration management tool (e.g. Chef Infra, Puppet, Ansible, Salt)
- Have experience with at least one of the major Public Clouds (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Understand what it means to deliver infrastructure-as-code
- Strong communication skills – you’ll need to work with multiple teams and stakeholders
Overcoming Talent Scarcity
Many companies are investing in training and getting help with onboarding technology through services partners like Indellient, who specialize in DevOps and app migration to the cloud.
However, if you’re a small team without the budget to procure implementation assistance, consider workflow tools like ShuttleOps, which aim to simplify and abstract the need to learn custom programming languages to orchestrate and automate build and deploy processes.
More About ShuttleOps
ShuttleOps is a modern application delivery software company with a No Code CI/CD Platform designed to enable true DevOps collaboration so businesses of any size can get their application and associated fixes and updates to customers quickly and consistently. Contact us today to learn more about how we can transform your business.